The German “Forum Media and Development” (Forum Medien und Entwicklung) is a network of institutions and individuals active in the field of media development cooperation. It serves as the German platform for the exchange of experiences, research and further elaboration of concepts. It facilitates the dialogue between media practitioners, development politics and the scientific community.
The members of the German “Forum Media and Development” advocate the human right to freedom of speech. They are convinced that free and independent media are essential for the development of democracies. Free and independent media ensure that all groups of society can participate in public opinion forming. At the same time they demand transparency and accountability from political, social and economic players. This is also of particular importance with regard to poverty reduction and the promotion of sustainable development. Therefore, the German “Forum Media and Development” endeavours to strengthen the importance of media aid in the context of development cooperation.
The activities of the Forum include
- exchange of information and experiences among the members
- exchange with media representatives from Africa, Asia, Latin America and Eastern Europe
- cooperation in carrying out joint projects, research and evaluations
- coordination and representation of the interests of the non-governmental organisations that are concerned with media development cooperation – at national, European and international level
- further elaboration of the political and strategic framework of the German media development cooperation
- advice to the German government and its implementing organisations.
Read as pdf