FoME holds an annual international symposium focusing on a specific issue relevant to international media assistance, including
- The Silent Takeover – Media Capture in the 21st Century (2018)
- Media Freedom and the Internet (2017)
- Media and Media Assistance in Fragile Contexts (2016)
- Advanced Methods and Concepts in Media Development (2015)
- Audience Research in Media Development (2014)
- BRICS and Their Evolving Role in Developing Media Markets (2013)
- Digital Media and Democratic Space (2012)
- Impact of Digital Media on Journalism and Development (2011)
- Practices and Challenges of German and International Media Development Cooperation (2010)
- Measuring Change: Monitoring and Evaluation in Media Development (2009 und 2007)
- Migrants and Minorities and the Media (2008).
From time to time FoME organises other events like
- the Jour Fixe which presents and discusses current projects and themes of German media assistance (2016)
- the Roundtable on the Future of Media Development (2014).